The F-4 Phantom II was a twin-engine, all-weather, fighter-bomber. The aircraft could perform three tactical air roles such as air superiority, interdiction and close air support, as it did in Southeast Asia. First flown in May 1958, the Phantom II originally was developed for the US Navy fleet defense and entered service in 1961. The USAF version (the F4-C) deliveries began in 1963. The USAF F-4s also flew reconnaissance and "Wild Weasel" anti-aircraft missile suppression missions. Production ended in 1979, after over 5,000 were built. Used extensively in the Vietnam War, later versions of the aircraft were still active in the US Air Force inventory well into the 1990s. F-4s are no longer in the USAF inventory, but are still flown by foreign nations.

The F-4D, with major changes that increased accuracy in weapons delivery, was delivered to the USAF in 1966, the Air National Guard in 1977, and the Air Force Reserve in 1980. A later version, the F-4G Advanced Wild Weasel was the last model still active with the Air Force until it was replaced by the F-16.

This aircraft was delivered on March 1968 and served in the Vietnam War with the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing in Danang, and with the 8th TFW, and 432nd TRW in Ubon, Thailand. Then it served with the 8th TFW, Kunsan, Korea, and in December 1981 it was assigned to the Air Force Reserve 457th TFS, 301st TFW, at Carswell AFB, Fort Worth, and was retired from service in March 1988.