The two-place T-33 jet was designed for training pilots already qualified to fly propeller-driven aircraft. It was developed from the single-seat F-80 fighter by lengthening the fuselage slightly more than three feet to accommodate a second cockpit. Originally designated as the TF-80C, the T-33 made its first flight in March 1948. Production continued until August 1959. In addition to its use as a trainer, the T-33 has been used for such tasks as drone director and target towing, and in some countries even as a combat aircraft. The RT-33A version, a reconnaissance aircraft produced primarily for use by foreign countries, had a camera installed in the nose and additional equipment in the rear cockpit.
The T-33 has served in the air forces of more than 20 countries for almost 40 years. Many are still in service throughout the world both for training aircraft and for simple combat aircraft. The last mission for this aircraft on display was with the Strategic Air Command (SAC).
This aircraft (number 58-0621) is on loan from the US Air Force Museum, Dayton, Ohio .